A creature I have been working on here and there, decided to try and give it a first pass at high frequency, and a quick shot in marmoset to test out how it looks.
Having just finished my last project, the likeness of Lars Mikkelsen, I am looking to a slightly different type of project.
This is a project where I have had the model laying around since I made it about a year ago, but I just never really took it from model to final piece.
I want to pick it up now and call it a wrap. Gotta admit it is quite hard to pick up an old project and it was slightly painful initially, but I quickly got into it and started to get some get ideas and some good results playing around and testing some different stuff.
This is a little teaser here, where I tested the picture with a darker grittier theme, I will probably need to keep a version like this for the final one, and also have a lighter one, but I will test out what I find to work better!
I have been invited on to the Art heroes podcast this Friday, I am extremely humbled by the invite!
I have been doing their Likeness course, and I am very close to finishing up my work for it.
In case you want to come say hi, or just listen in, You can find it here on Youtube
I have enrolled into the likeness class over at artheroes, to try and finally get a better grip of faces in general and especially the likeness part.
I definitely feel like I am doing a great leap in my faces from this.
I have been getting feedback from Fareed https://www.artstation.com/fareed who is a great artist and is just spot on with the crits.
The actor that I am trying to hit here, is Lars Mikkelsen, Amazing actor, and with a really interesting face!
I have a little bit of some progress pics here from the to where I am now.
First pass using just sculptris to block out the major shapes of the face.
and current progress.
Definitely getting closer, but still lots of work to do on this guy!
First Blog post, wasn't exactly sure what to use this for, but since artstation mostly is a portfolio site, I figured blog posts could easily be a place for wips and thoughts.
Having just finished up the female adventurer, I am looking toward the next project to finish up, but also try and improve some techniques.
there were quite a few things that I felt I could improve on my last project that I want to have a look at in this one, the face being one, though not in this update here.
First let's have a look at it.
here is the concept I am working from
I haven't been able to identify the artist of this, if anyone knows, by all means tell me so I can give credit.
I started with a quick material breakdown.
Here is the current state of the project
The head is a placeholder just for testing out the posing, the last project was made in an A-pose, where I will be making this one in pose, Not sure of that is the best decision, but time will tell I guess.
There is still some of his gear missing as you can tell, and some things are still quite rough, especially the scabbard.
There are big problems with the lower legs and feet at the moment which is high on the list of things to fix.
I think I will redo the boots, they feel quite far from what I want to hit, they seem thin and fragile, I want it to resemble a more heavy army boot, but in a slightly lighter and nimbler version.
I also have the beginnings of a face, at the moment it is very generic and lack character. but most of the base feel ok at the moment, I will have to dive deeper into some reference at this point get more of a person into it.
but I think this is the general state of it at the moment, I will try and see if blogging about this thing is for me, we'll see!